FAIR TRADE AND CULTURE FOLLOWING THE BIOLOGICAL SYSTEM
VACPA’s strategic relationships with its customers, employees and suppliers are based on the values of solidarity, transparency, fairness and citizenship. Given the fact that quality, food safety and sustainable development start in the orchards, the company has been implementing for the past ten years a program aimed at getting involved upstream from the dates sector and whose general framework is to create partnerships with its farmer suppliers.
This involvement comes with a vision that can be summarized as follows:
- Treat its farmer suppliers with fairness and respect by allowing them to benefit from the fruits of their work.
- Make a commitment to support them by assisting them technically and sharing with them the risks of climatic and other hazards.
- Being a company at the service of sustainable development especially in the areas of date production.
To implement this vision, the company has set up a program called FSEP (Supply Chain Improvement Program) whose main component is the creation of a partnership with the date producers. The results obtained so far are very encouraging:
- 148 producers joined the PASA program.
- Creation by PASA of a group of producers of 148 members called “Hazoua Palm”.
- Creation of an agronomic department within VACPA to assist and supervise producers who are members of PASA.
After a few years of introduction to good agricultural practices, the company submitted the group’s application for certification according to the organic farming system. “Hazoua Palm” was certified organic in 2006. Today, this certification complies with the EEC, US NOP and Bio Suisse regulations. All certification and audit costs have been fully supported by Boudjebel SA VACPA.
At the same time, the Hazoua Palm Group was certified “fair trade”. A social fund has been created within the group to help farmers and their families. This fund is financed by VACPA but also thanks to the premiums generated by Fair Trade certification. In addition, Hazoua PALM is certified “Globalgap”.
This introduction of producers to good agricultural practices, quality policy and food security.
Indeed, a team composed of several executives and senior technicians, directs the “PASA“, provides the group with technical assistance and assists members in the management of certification systems.